Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Po-em

We smell urine but taste oatmeal
In summer sunrises seem too melancholy
Sunset senses the broken day

When I stand with my hands in the air
I think about trees
Spindly, reaching, wrenching the sky apart

There are a lot of shitty bathrooms
In the mid West
Words scrawled on walls, the smell of rebirth

We are wild life in a world of muses
Handle on the stopped up drain
Shards of splintered fingers dot the sink

My hands are fractured
The pen slips from my grasp
Blood and viscous ink, black and red, my high school

I smell piss, I taste it
I live in the bowels of the universe
In light of fecal perceptions

There isn't really much light

2 comments:

  1. every time i see a reference to me in a poem, i'm going to tell you "i got it!" :)

    great tone in this. my favorite is the 2nd stanza and last line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "There are a lot of shitty bathrooms/In the mid-West." I work that "I think shitty is appropriate" by ruin it. Let the phrase do its own thing.

    I'm glad you are trying some poems.

    ReplyDelete